Ham, Caramelized Onion, and Gruyere Quiche(for 5 – 6 individual tart quiches)
- Refrigerated pie crust
- 1 medium-large onion, cut into medium slices
- 2 T. butter
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup smoked ham, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk or cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 T. fresh thyme, stripped from the stems or 1/2 t. dried thyme
- 1/4 t. dry mustard
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
Roll out pie crust. Press into the pans. Prick bottom of dough with fork. Now bake empty shells at 400 degrees F for about 9 minutes. Saute sliced onions in butter until caramelized. They will take 20-25 minutes.
Chop ham into small pieces. Grate cheese. Make egg mixture Add cheese to bottom of each pastry. Add some ham. Add some caramelized onions. Now ladle egg mixture over each tart. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes.