Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast, Yield: Serves 6
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 T. chopped almonds (opt.)
Fruit: 16 ounces fresh strawberries, hulled, washed and sliced
- 12-14 slices Texas Toast (heart shaped with cutters)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- In medium bowl, cream together cream cheese, vanilla, lemon juice and brown sugar until mixture is light and creamy.
- Spread mixture evenly among each slice of bread. Layer strawberry slices on top of the cream cheese mixture on half of the bread slices. Top with remaining pieces of bread that have been spread with cream cheese mixture. Should have 6-7 french toast sandwiches.
- In shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Preheat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly butter skillet if needed.
- Carefully dip each stuffed French toast in egg mixture and place on hot skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Serve warm with a dusting of powdered sugar.